Saturday, July 26, 2008

Thing 16

Wikis offer a wonderful "committee meeting on my time schedule" that works for so many educational uses--from the group faculty discussion on improving the science curriculum to research projects. Unfortunately, most of the examples I found were for middle and secondary students. I would like to explore wiki use for elementary students. I think that, by setting up the structure and dividing the tasks among groups, this would be an excellent way to research a topic.



I found a wiki used to provide information about Roland Elementary School. When I consider how difficult it seems to be for some teachers to update webpages, this is probably a quicker way to provide information to parents. Here is a list of suggested ways to use wikis in schools--the idea to use a wiki for literature circles is one I'll think about.



The Texas Bluebonnet Award Reading Program will soon be inaugurating a wiki for suggestions of activities and displays to use with the reading list. This is will be a very useful collaboration if librarians and teachers across Texas will be willing to add their unique creations to it.

2 comments:

Susan said...

I am in an elementary school setting and this year I am the librarian/technologist. Talked the principal into hiring another librarian so that I could do the "fun" things with the teachers and students.
I have two bilingual kindergarten teachers ready to start the new year using wikis. One is very technology savy and the other just wants to learn. They will start an alphabet wiki, using a picture of each letter of the alphabet. During the year the students will add words they have learned with that letter, starting with Spanish and then English. Really looking forward to this next year.

Char said...

Susan, what wiki program will you use?