Thursday, July 17, 2008

Thing 14

Investigating Technorati and watching the videos was fascinating. As an elementary librarian, I compare the origin of the service to Jack who planted a bean and got a huge beanstalk. I admire people who have that sort of vision for the future.

When I used the phrase "School Library Learning 2.0," I found that results were more similar for posts and tags. And I also found it different from day-to-day. What a serendipitous experience to have looked again today and found that School Library Journal is beginning a 23 thing program of its own entitled "All Together Now - A Learning 2.0 Experience." The blogs were full of that news today. <http://librariesinteract.info/2008/07/18/all-in-together-learning-20-for-school-librarians-and-the-rest-of-us/>

I spent more than one session working with Technorati because I would get caught up in pursuing some thread I'd found and then ended up either working on a book order (because of wonderful recommendations I'd found in blogs) or adding to my del.icio.us bookmarks because of other goodies I'd found.

What I found that was useful for me were the number of sources of book, site, and learning tool recommendations that are available through blogs. I also enjoyed looking at some of the blogs for different forms of artwork in which I have an interest.

I understand the importance of tagging and worry about whether I'm doing an adequate job, even when I'm only doing it for my own use. I despair of my own inconsistency in terminology and think about the number of tags I add as I do prunes: Are 3 enough? Are 7 too many?

No comments: